Ingalls Memorial Hospital
A Brief History
As the City of Harvey and surrounding communities were taking shape in the early 1920s, industrialist Frederick Ingalls recognized the need for a hospital
to care for people from all walks of life. Mr. Ingalls' dream was realized when Ingalls Memorial Hospital opened its doors in 1923, dedicated to his wife,
Jeanette Hess Ingalls, who passed away during the time of construction.
The original fifty-bed facility was well received by an eager community and served a population comprised largely of workers from local businesses. An
expansion that doubled the original hospital's capacity opened just seven years later in 1930.
Over the years, several more additions were constructed, and today, Ingalls is a nationally recognized regional health system consisting of a 563-bed
hospital on approximately 22 acres of land, along with a network of comprehensive outpatient facilities. Offering a full array of healthcare services, Ingalls
has earned a national reputation and commendations for cancer, stroke, neurosciences and orthopedics.
Ingalls Family Care Centers and the area's only 24/7 Urgent Aid centers are conveniently located in Tinley Park (originally opened in 1983 with an addition
in 2004), Calumet City (opened in 1986 and expanded in 2009), and Flossmoor (opened in 2004, currently under expansion).
Ingalls Health System also includes a Wellness Center in Homewood, Cancer Care Center and Same Day Surgery in Tinley Park, Ingalls Center for Outpatient
Rehabilitation in Calumet City and Ingalls Home Care & Hospice, which provides skilled nursing, support and therapy services throughout the Southland.
In addition to providing excellent patient care, Ingalls has long been the region's leader in offering community-based services, especially to those in
Each year, Ingalls hosts more than 200 free health screenings, educational programs and health fairs that reach nearly 50,000 individuals. These include
free or discounted mammograms; free prostate screenings; and free or deeply discounted children's physicals and immunizations for hundreds of area children
preparing for school.
Through its ongoing partnership with the Cancer Support Center in Homewood, Ingalls also reaches out to cancer patients and families with educational
and support programs, as well as health screenings.
Since its founding in 1923, Ingalls has remained a not-for-profit institution, committed to fulfilling its mission of improving the health of the communities